"An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart and dreams in his head."
In 2015 SALSC were proud to present the new 2015 - 2019 Development Plan, written in conjunction with our members and sportscotland. The focus of this Development Plan is on the future of Local Sports Councils, strengthening them by raising awareness of the individual Sports Council within their communities and recruiting young people in to their individual structure. Both aims are designed to support Sports Councils with the sustainability and growth of individual Sports Councils and with this in mind SALSC are delighted to be working towards these outcomes in partnership with our members.
Governance is not only about business procedures, it is also about leadership and in November 2011 the SALSC Board of Directors signed off the SALSC 2011-15 Business Plan. This plan, developed over 8 months of consultation with the membership and key partners dictates the commitment of the organisation for the coming 4 years, notably leading up to and looking beyond the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Under the previous business plan 2008-11 SALSC focused on developing the governance of the Association so it can perform effectively as a business operating with clear, effective, efficient and transparent procedures with clear, volunteer friendly remits. While there will always be a need to refine its procedures and keep them in line with the latest requirements, this work is now largely complete and the association is a much more efficient, business minded organisation for delivering services to its members.
The Association relies on the contribution of volunteers in achieving its targets and has therefore created clear remits for its directors and terms of reference for its two working groups. SALSC is led by volunteers, for volunteers so it is important the Association demonstrates good working practice in the management, support and reward of volunteers. As such, all our minutes, policies and procedures are clear and accessible for all.
SALSC is committed to ensuring that equality is incorporated across all aspects of its work and development. In doing so it acknowledges and adopts the following definition of sports equity:
* Sports equality is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them
* SALSC respects the rights, dignity and worth of every person and will treat everyone equally and with respect within the context of their sport, regardless of age, ability, gender, race, religious beliefs, sexuality or social/economic status
* SALSC is committed to everyone having the right to enjoy their sport in an environment free from threat of intimidation, harassment and abuse
* SALSC members have a responsibility to oppose discriminatory behaviour and promote equality of opportunity
* SALSC will deal with any incidence of discriminatory behaviour seriously, taking disciplinary action if necessary
* SALSC expects all its staff, volunteers, members and affiliated members to adopt our Equality statement