"An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart and dreams in his head."
On 23rd September 2015 the Scottish Sports Alliance (SALSC, the Scottish Sports Association and Scottish Student Sport) officially launched A Manifesto for Scottish Sport, ahead of the Scottish Parliament's 2016 election.
The menifesto highlights the five areas where political support for Socttish sport can, in the view of the Alliance's members, make the biggest difference to sport in Scotland:
1. Partnerships: an entitlement for everyone to realise the benefits of sport/being active
2. PE and School Sport: an entitlement for every child to be equipped with the skills to be active for life
3. Places: an entitlement to easily access local, inclusive and quality sporting places
4. People: an entitlement for everyone to be supported as a volunteer
5. Performance: an entitlement for all talented individuals to achieve their potential through the sporting system
At the heart of the manifesto is the intrinsic value of sport - fun and enjoyment. The manifesto also outlines the benefits that participating in sport/being active can bring to individuals, including improved physical and mental health, enhanced learning and employability.
Taking part in sport/being active has been described as the 'best buy in public health', hence the manifesto also indicates the benefits for Scotland if the population was more active, including enhanced economic productivity, crime prevention and enhanced learning.
A full copy of the manifesto is available here: SSA_Manifesto_Readers web version.pdf